I had the opportunity to hear my friend, Don Yeager, talk about the new book he co-authored with legendary catcher, David Ross, called Teammate. He gave 16 characteristics of high performing teammates and I want to share my top 5.
· Humble – They don’t require the spotlight to feel important
– Action – make a point to praise others, especially when you are being praised
· Encouraging – they notice the success of others
– Action – identify those co-workers who are struggling, and find ways to inspire them
· Resourceful – they share what they learn and embrace a mentoring role
– Action – share your expertise with those co-workers who work in your circle
· Willing to sacrifice – they are not above doing the dirty work
– Action – assume whatever role is necessary for the team to win. Never say the words: “It’s not my job”
· Relationship builders – they build camaraderie with “all” members of the team
– Action – reach beyond your department, and become a magnet within your workplace
What makes you a great teammate?