I’m a big fan of quotes. When people say things in a succinct but powerful manner, it makes us stop and think.
While these seven leadership quotes will make you stop and think – they are quotes that leaders should work to live by.
1. “Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy.” —Norman Schwarzkopf
– Leaders can’t forget that people buy you first. Your character is always on display and congruency between what you say and what you do is paramount.
2. “What you do has far greater impact than what you say.” —Stephen Covey
– Leadership is spelled E.X.A.M.P.L.E. – get things done and set the pace.
3. “You can love people without leading them but you cannot lead people without loving them.” – John Maxwell
– The primary motivation for great leaders is love. When we are driven by love, we are well received, create win-wins and garner loyal followers.
4. “A leader that lacks passion will have followers that lack commitment.”
– Don’t expect your people to be more excited or committed than you. If they are, they will probably take your place 🙂
5. “Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other.” —John F. Kennedy
– Leaders who stay relevant are constantly learning and growing. Stay humble, approachable and teachable.
6. “The function of leadership is to produce more leaders, not more followers.” —Ralph Nader
– Your job is to empower your team. Good leaders have followers, great leaders build leaders.
7. “Earn your leadership every day.” –Michael Jordan
– Leadership isn’t title, position or authority – it is influence and influence is earned everyday.
Once you are recognized and powerful, every statement you make is looked up by all following you