Great leaders understand that they are in the people business.
• We need leaders who care more about people than they do numbers.
• We need leaders who focus on being interested, not interesting.
• We need leaders who use influence, not authority, to get things done.
• We need leaders who talk with people, not at people.
• We need leaders who truly care.
If we understand that leadership begins and ends with people, then we understand the need to develop relationships, make connections, partner with our people, and show empathy.
Empathy is the ability to mutually experience the thoughts, emotions, and direct experience of others.
Empathy helps us lead individually not collectively.
Empathy gives us unique insight into people. Empathy encourages leaders to understand the root cause behind poor performance. Empathy allows leaders to build and develop relationships with those they lead.
Empathy as a state of mind breeds more listening, more understanding and, therefore, more leadership!
When leadership is executed with empathy it changes lives.