We are remodeling our house and I had to move my library from my home office to my regular office and so I snapped a picture. I have read every book you see there (nearly 1000 books!) in the last 10 years.
I have read hundreds of books on Leadership, Communication, Positive Thinking, Sales, Parenting, Marketing, Social Media, & Presentation Skills. In this pile are also biographies of amazing people, religious books and history books.
A recent study showed that most people have only read one book cover to cover since high school. I think that is sad – but more than that it is limiting. I think the purpose of life is growth – so we should all be learning and growing everyday. The most successful, the most fascinating and most engaging people I know are constantly learning and growing and reading is a big part of that process.
Jim Rohn once said, “Formal education will make you a living but self-education will make you a fortune.” I have found that to be true for me and I contribute much of my success to the process of constant and never ending learning.
So in an attempt to encourage everyone to go and pick up a good book (or download a good book) – Here is my top ten list of personal development books:
- As A Man Thinketh – by James Allen
- Man’s Search For Meaning – by Victor Frankl
- How To Win Friends & Influence People – by Dale Carnegie
- Think & Grow Rich – by Napoleon Hill
- 7 Habits of Highly Effective People – by Stephen R. Covey
- 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership – by John Maxwell
- Start With Why – by Simon Sinek
- The Speed of Trust – by Stephen M.R. Covey
- Aspire – by Kevin Hall
- 10. The Go-Giver by Bob Burg & John David Mann
What other books would you add to the list? I’d love to hear which books have impacted you. – Keep Learning & Growing!